Saturday, March 11, 2017

New Challenges, New Trials-Week 9

   This week marked the beginning of my students taking over the class.  For two weeks, I was taking a back seat to the class and letting the students be the teachers--boy, was I worried.  Some of my classes, I thought, would do a good job as teachers.  Others, however, I was worried for, because they held not only their own education, but the education of their fellow students in their hands.  It turns out, however, that I didn't have to be as worried as I had been.
   As the first group of students started teaching, I immediately began to take over the class to establish order--as I would on any other day.  My co-teacher, however, reminded me that my students would be in charge for the next two weeks.  I recognized my mistake, and let the students take charge.  A hundred thoughts were racing through my head: What if they miss an important point? What if they make false statements? What if their fellow students don't respect them?  After several minutes, however, I sat back and began to watch my classes and was genuinely surprised by what I observed. 
   Some of the students I least expected took charge of the class.  When their groups was teaching a section of World War I, they provided steady guidance and help for the class.  The didn't allow for any horsing around, but were there to answer any questions the students had.  Furthermore, they weren't letting the class intimidate them: they were the teachers, after all. 
   Other students who I expected would do an excellent job were completely unprepared.  They didn't plan well, were uncertain in how to transition, and how to guide the class.  Also, they didn't understand why I wouldn't help them.
   The hardest part for me was to let go and let the students teach.  However, as I did this, I realized that it was essential for the students to experience what teachers do every day for them, and to realize that maintaining an orderly class is no easy task.  Every group got to experience the trials and tribulations of being a teacher and realized how hard it truly was.  I can't wait to see how the next week looks.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree, facilitating is way harder than teaching...but so worth it! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can observe, all the elements of a research paper are being used in preparing the teachable moment.

    ReplyDelete