Friday, February 17, 2017

Here I Stand-Week 6

  This week was a milestone for me: for the first time, I had complete autonomy in the classroom, with no help from my cooperating teacher.  It was both exciting and frightening--and as always, quite the learning experience.
   On Friday, I had a lesson plan which followed a model used by my cooperating teacher in previous years.  It involved having the students play Rock, Paper, Scissors with pieces of candy, as a way of experiencing different economic systems.  Seemed simple enough to me, I didn't anticipate any problems....which was a big mistake.
   Although I had not expected any problems with the lesson, I didn't think that there would be much variation between my classes.  I thought all five classes would play the game the same way, experience the same results, and have the same questions.  Nothing could have been further from the truth.
   It was apparent from the beginning of each class period that every class was experiencing the game in a different way.  Some students needed no prompting and began to immediately play, quickly losing or gaining extra candy pieces.  At least one class, however, was hesitant to begin, as if they expected some sort of trick.  This class needed some prodding to start playing, which was a necessary step in the lesson plan.  Once they started, however, the lesson was able to continue as planned.
   Other classes had to be calmed down more frequently, as they began to argue and even take their classmate's candy!  Although this all played into the lesson plan, controlling the chaos required a great deal of finesse, as I couldn't be everywhere at once.  I felt I made many mistakes at this point, and took many notes which will help me the next time I use this lesson plan.
   A great general once said that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.  It good also be said that no lesson plan survives contact with the students.  Teachers need to be ready to pivot and redirect at a moments notice in order to keep the lesson going in the right direction.  This skill  seems to be one that is innate (since I have no idea how one could learn to do this except through hard experience), and not something which can be taught.  I just hope I will hone this skill in the next two months to a great enough degree that I can be ready when my own classes change direction unexpectedly.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how different classes can be so different! I find that with adult studies cohorts as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you experienced how differently classes may receive a lesson plan, keep that in mind for the next time you plan that type of lesson. Look for the difference in each class and share the different experiences with your classes. No doubt you will be ready next time. You will be ready to expect the unexpected.

    ReplyDelete