Thursday, February 9, 2017

Watch That Language-Week 5

   This week brought an issue to the front which I thought I had left far behind.  Teenagers being who they are, I knew that I would be hearing some foul language in my class and thought I was prepared to deal with it.  My plan would be to nip it in the bud at the start so that students would realize that sort of language would not be tolerated.  What I didn't anticipate was the reaction I got from the student, and the ensuing shut down of the entire class.
   One student was apparently upset by one of my statements at the beginning of class (related to a historical fact about the Industrial Revolution).  The student then blurted out an expletive denigrating Jesus Christ.  At this point, I cautioned the student about language, and other students started to mumble expletives of their own, as well as their surprise that such a word would be considered so harshly.  At that point, I could tell that I was in danger of losing the class and wanted to send the message that such outbursts would not be tolerated.  I firmly told the class that any further profanity would cause me to send a referral home for the offender in question.  At that point, I lost the class.
   My class became visibly agitated and bothered.  It was as if they began to shut down and a wall went up and I couldn't reach them any more.  After several minutes of conversation and discussion about the topic at hand I was able to get my students interested again, but it took some time--time which could have been spent in more constructive ways.  Looking back, I should have handled the situation differently from the start.
   My cooperating teacher recommended in situations such as this, what is usually most effective is to correct the student in question, say that such statements can be offensive to some people, then move on.  No debate, no argument, but no ignoring the problem, either.  I want to try this myself the next chance I get.  I know it will be much more effective than my original approach.
   Once again, each new week provides me the opportunity to practice what I have learned, but also makes me realize that I have much more to learn.  I may be a teacher, but I am not an expert just yet.  Hopefully, each new week I will learn something new which I can one day apply in my own classroom.

2 comments:

  1. This experience sums up student teaching perfectly! You have to try, and you will fail, but most importantly you need to learn and try again. You are very fortunate to have a cooperating teacher and placement where you can do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again you learned why student teaching is a part of your requirement. The experience was a good one. Young adults will slip with profanity in a classroom. It is up to the classroom teacher to check it and move on. Possibly at the end of class you can ask the offender to stay for a minute, and you can let him/her know that the classroom is no place for profanity. Your CP gave you good advice.

    ReplyDelete