Saturday, April 8, 2017

The Best Laid Plans-Week 13

   Spring break was over, and it was time to go back to school.  For me, the beginning of this week offered two challenges: I had to get the students back on track again, and I had to do it all on my own.  That's right, this week would be the first week I would be completely on my own, with no help from my cooperating teacher.  I had to design the lesson plans, find my own resources, and execute the lessons all by myself.  This week would be an eye opener in more ways than one. 
   In planning the lessons for the week, I had to cover Germany and the hyperinflation which led to World War II.  I had found a great simulation website which would allow the students to see the results of price fluctuation.  I planned to jigsaw the lesson: for the students to work in groups, fill out a worksheet, then teach their section to the rest of the class.  I thought this would be the first great lesson I designed on my own.  The students all had their own devices, so they could all view the simulation themselves.  On the day of the lesson, I couldn't wait for class to start.  Then...things started to go wrong.
   It turns out that the simulation I thought was so great would only work on computers--not on mobile devices.  My lesson plan came to a screeching halt.  I had to pivot quickly to save the class, but what I had planned was completely thrown off track.  Fortunately, my back ups allowed me fill the class period and save the lesson.
   I guess my take away from this week was even a seemingly perfect lesson plan can be derailed by unforeseen circumstances.  Even if you don't think you need backups, make sure to have them--they may end up saving your lesson.

1 comment:

  1. You are realizing the true reason for student teaching. Getting the experience of a teacher in many situations. You have just experienced, "What do you do when lesson plans go a rye." You become a problem solver, you become resourceful, and move on as planned.
    I enjoyed your class, you used technology, questions to engage your students, and a note sheet for your students to follow. Your lecture was interesting, interactive, and educational.

    ReplyDelete