Saturday, April 15, 2017

This Is Harder Than It Looks-Week 14

   Just finished the second week of my World War II unit and feeling very confused.  How in the world do teacher's create unit plans which the students not only find enjoyable, but which they can learn from?  I once asked my cooperating teacher how he designed unit plans that were so seamlessly woven together, and he said that it was the result of many years of experience, finding things that work and things that don't work.  I smiled a little when he said years, thinking it couldn't possibly be that hard.  As it turns out...he was being very modest.
   As I worked through my lesson planning for this week, I began to realize how much time and effort could go into a lesson which was mediocre, let alone a lesson which was good.  I couldn't believe how anyone could produce such good lessons in such a short amount of time, as well as making all the necessary copies and setting up the classroom for the lessons.  I thought that by this point in my student teaching, I would have everything under control...but it just goes to prove I have so much more to learn.
   I guess the lesson I took away most from this week is similar to the one I learned as a driver.  When we are young, there is a tendency to think we are great drivers.  Similarly, I thought that I was doing great as a teacher.  This week has been a humbling experience in that I see that what makes a great teacher--and a great driver--is experience.  And that is something I'm only just beginning to get.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew don't be so hard on yourself. As you realize what turns the light on in the eyes of your students, you will incorporate that into your lesson plans.
    I thought your lecture/class discussion on WWI was very interesting and engaging. Keep up the good teaching!

    ReplyDelete